Cover

Cover

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Name Is...



SEBASTIAN
  • Origin: Greece
  • Meaning: Revered (profound respect and admiration)
  • Potential Nicknames: Seabass (his daddy's favorite), Sebby, Sebs, Bash, Bass
  • Some random site describe people with the name Sebastian as the following (probably a bunch of crap but just fun to include)
  • People with this name have a deep inner need for quiet, and a desire to understand and analyze the world they live in, and to learn the deeper truths.
  • People with this name tend to be passionate, compassionate, intuitive, romantic, and to have magnetic personalities. They are usually humanitarian, broadminded, and generous, and tend to follow professions where they can serve humanity. Because they are so affectionate and giving, they may be imposed on.  They are romantic and easily fall in love, but may be easily hurt and are sometimes quick-tempered. 


I think most people know by now that we've decided to name Baby Ko "Sebastian".  More specifically, his full name will be Sebastian Fabunan Ko.  Ever the traditionalist, David didn't want anything to do with a hyphenated last name, so we (I) decided that we'd keep the Fabunan name alive by making that Baby Ko's middle name.  Not only did this make things super easy for us by not having to come up with yet another name, but it was also keeping with the Filipino tradition of honoring one's mother by using their maiden name as the middle name.  This is what we've done for Pookie (Pookie Fabunan Ko), Sebastian, and will be the case for any other future Ko keikis.  :) 

The quest to find the perfect first name took a little more time.  Two things I love - being prepared for whatever comes my way (as best I can) and making lists (as well as checking things off said lists).  Anyway, for years I have kept a list of names I've liked for both boys and girls so that when the time came, I'd be prepared!  I have about 13 names for boys and 12 names for girls.  As soon as we found out we were pregnant, I busted out the list and rattled them off to the hubs.  Turned out, even with my fine selection, there wasn't a lot of agreement for either gender!  And it would be over my dead body that we would ever choose David, Jr. or any other variation of a "_leen" name (my mom's name is Arleen - I was either gonna be Darleen, Charleen, Marleen, or Abigail - wild card from my mom).

As I mentioned in a previous post, we were able to find out the gender of our baby well ahead of the normal time which allowed us to focus on boy names.  Sebastian just happened to be the name that we both agreed on and as a bonus, David's parents could pronounce it as well!  Should we be blessed with another child in the future, we are equipped with an agreed upon name for a boy and there is a girl's name that I absolutely adore (still working on getting him to come around for this one).  I'll just keep those to myself for now!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment