Cover

Cover

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Let's see where to even begin with this post?  People get sensitive about the words and definition of father, dad, daddy, father figure, etc.  Maybe I just don't understand because I'm simple and think the spirit of the definition of a dad or father are the same.  You can't just be a 'biological father' or essentially a sperm donor and call yourself a dad, if you want the title you should be everything that it encompasses.  Meaning, you are a part of your child's life and influence the development of his/her mind, body, spirit and morals.  Anyways, I just had to go on this little rant as I was going to start this post with the definition of a father or dad and got frustrated with the Internet and people's stupid comments on threads of what it means to be a father or dad.

I think my last post was right around the time I was getting ready to be a father.  Boy! We've come a long way since then.  I wasn't too naive at that time and think I said something along the lines of that you can't really prepare yourself for this gig and you have to take things in stride, adjust and just do your best and it wasn't going to be easy.  For the most part things have gone really well; he's alive, seems to be happy, no serious health issues and has all his hands, feet, eyes, fingers and toes.  Don't get me wrong there have been plenty of times when my patience has been pushed to the max, been so physically and mentally exhausted to the point where I'm on autopilot hoping the routine and repetition from previous days was so ingrained in our brains that we wouldn't have to think about what we were doing…because frankly, we couldn't.

Parents often say that at the end of the day, it's all worth it.  I can now say this, mean it, understand it, and want to sign up to do it again!  It truly has been my greatest accomplishment/milestone in my life thus far, to be a dad is the most gratifying feeling in the world and every time I look at him I think - "wow, that's my son!  I made him, he is of our flesh and blood".

I can't wait for future Father's Days to come when my boy can run into our room, wake me up, jump on me, try to help mom make breakfast, and play in the yard but for now I'll take his smiles, laughs, hugs, cries, drool, and that cute little face.  He's already growing so fast and his personality is really shining through.  He's a happy boy, unless of course, he doesn't get what he wants which these days is usually food, milk, or a balloon.  It's fun to wonder about how he'll be as he progresses through his life in terms of mannerisms, likes/dislikes, and just his personality in general…more like mommy? More like daddy? Or neither?!  Will he be an athlete?  Musician/singer/songwriter or something in the arts?  A genius?  Will he do great things?!  Will he be philanthropist? Millionaire?  Who knows but I'm excited to find out and help him/support him along the way. 
On the actual Father's Day this year we met up with Grandpa and Grandma Ko at the classy Red Lobster in the Hood.  I vowed never to go there again after our last visit 2-3 years ago but Papa Ko always gets what he wants.  I guess that's one perk on Father's Day I have to look forward to, I can pretty much lay down any rule or decision I want that day.  To my surprise, the food was actually pretty good but not sure I'd use my executive powers to have a Father's Day meal there in the years to come.

I did receive an art project from Sebastian that mommy helped him create…I'm sure it looked a lot neater on the Pinterest page she probably got the idea from. ;)  Nonetheless, it's the thought that counts and it's my first piece of what I'm sure to be many art projects that will decorate my work cubical.










No comments:

Post a Comment